Sassy Girl so what do you do you do when you really need to lose weight? So after trying several diets including the Ideal Protein and having success but then gaining some of the weight back due to vacations, going out, social gathering, stress and well in one word life. I started the search to look for something manageable where my foodie heart will be content and where my binging mind could live happily while losing stubborn fat and building muscle….
Could it be possible to do both at the same time with real food?
Could it be possible to lose weight fast and gain muscle without strenuous exercise, crazy eating schedules and extreme measures?
I am not a person that follows strict diet guideline very good. I am kinda of a rebel while dieting I love doing my own thing and what I feel works for me. When a “diet” is too strict I tend to cheat, not only that when I cheat I feel terrible and go on a crazy binge because I feel ‘oh well if I already screwed up might as well have my cake and eat it too.’ Then after the big binge I feel terrible and get back on track for a few days and then here I go again and the cycle continues.
Do you relate? Do You Really Need To Lose Weight?
I feel like losing weight and maintenance are 100% mindset. The mind is unbelievable strong. So what if I could find a diet (let me stop using the word diet because I hate it!)…What if I could find a weight loss program that will let me cheat!? Have whatever I wanted as much as I wanted, with no guilt, no hard feelings…just pure enjoyment. Psychologically that will be like winning the weight loss lottery! Do you agree?
As a person that has been battling with being overweight my whole life. I know exactly what it feels to deal with food demons. I have lost over 85 pounds 10 years ago but have dealt with gaining and losing 20-30 pounds within the last few years. I find myself losing and gaining the same 20-30 pounds…
Well enough is enough!
So I started my quest to find this Awesome Diet. Does it exist?
Let me Present to You The Slow Carb Diet by Tim Ferris
I stumbled upon the Book The 4 Hour Body by Tim Ferris and I started doing my own experiment. The diet that Tim Ferris recommends is called The Slow Carb Diet. You can find all the details of this diet here. However you don’t have to buy the book to get the main ‘meat and potatoes’ of the program but I highly recommend it.
I have outlined the simple Slow Carb Diet Rules below:
- Eat a slow carb protein breakfast aiming for at least 30g of protein within 30 minutes to 1 hour of waking up. This is extremely important. I used to eat breakfast really late and making this switch is really helping me stay on track. My breakfast this week has been two eggs, turkey bacon and turkey sausages (enough to get 30g of protein). You can also add beans or lentils and even avocados but if this is too much to handle so early in the morning just stick to the protein alone.
- Stick to slow-carb diet approved foods 6 days per week: examples of slow carb approved foods are:
- Lean meat, beans, legumes, lentils and veggies. No white foods or anything that could be white for example wheat bread, brown rice or dairy. The only white food you can have is cauliflower (which is great for cauliflower rice or cauliflower faux mashed potatoes). No fruits except on cheat day if your heart desires.
- Eat the same few meals over and over again, this will help you minimize how much you spend on food during the week, less food going to waste, etc. I love making chili with ground turkey and beans and/or vegetable soup with chicken to lasts me for a few meals.
- Don’t drink your calories. Drink lots of water. And believe it or not 1-2 glasses of red wine per day is allowed on this diet…I know CRAZY!
- And the most important rule of ALL have one “Cheat Day” a week. Not one cheat meal one whole cheat day. Important be sure to do just one day once you go to bed the cheat day is over. Meaning cheating is 12-14 hours not 24 hours! On this day you can have anything your little heart desires as much as you want with no regrets. You can start your Slow Carb diet on a Monday and have your cheat day on a Saturday or Sunday for example. The only other rule about this day is that it needs to be at least 5 days after starting the diet. So if you want your cheat day to be Wednesday for example you need to start your Slow Carb Diet on Thursday or Friday.
And there you have it, super easy. No stress! No counting calories or watching portions. You can eat the approved foods without limiting yourself. These foods are so dense that you will feel satisfy throughout the day. I find that eating out is super easy on this diet too specially eating Mexican food (my favorite…I think I was Mexican in another life. LOL). You can ask for chicken fajitas skip the cheese and sour cream, switch the tortillas for lettuce cups and ask for re-fried beans on the side. Like Tim Ferris would say if you get charged extra for the changes to your meals consider that your “six pack tax.” 🙂 Also I even get to eat at Chipotle another favorite of mine if and when I want to, as it is allowed on this awesome diet…just ask for a salad with no dressing, no rice, no cheese and no sour cream.
I am in diet heaven if that is even possible to say…I Just finished my first week and it was a walk in the park. I never felt hungry and I lost 5 pounds and 7 inches in six days! Be sure to take your measurements and before photos if you decide to do this or any other program. You will find that the scale lies and does not tell the whole story.
I recommend that you read the 4 Hour Body book by Tim Ferris if you want the details about the science of how this diet works. It was really interesting information and it will help you on your journey.
Did This Help You? If so, I would greatly appreciate it if you commented below and shared on Facebook
If you enjoyed this post or Really Need To Lose Weight? share it with your friends and Leave Your Comments Below!